Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sealing Moisture

Sealing
I used to have the mentality that water is just not good on my already nappy hair. I already knew that it shrunk my hair, but I also thought that it definitely made my hair fall out... FALSE. In reality, water is one of the BEST natural moisturizers your hair will ever find! Now? Water is a staple on my list of hair products. Plus, you find it everywhere! The only thing you have to remember is to seal in the moisture in your hair. Why? Because our hair is so porous, it takes in moisture easily, but it also loses moisture just as easy. The purpose of using a sealant (preferably something like some type of oil) is to keep your moisture in and to keep your ends alive much longer.
SN: This actually came as a surprise to me as well, but petroleum jelly is not as beneficial to your hair and we commonly think! Petrolatum, mineral oil, and lanolin products are just filler ingredients.
The best types of oils to use for sealing are coconut, jojoba, olive, and carrot oil.
ALSO! Oils do not moisturize! (Oil is hydrophobic... It HATES water & it will lock all the moisture OUT of your hair. You do NOT want that!)
So add water first (or whatever your primary moisturizer is) and then add the oil!

No comments:

Post a Comment